Monday, July 23, 2012

Tool #8

After watching the videos/tutorials, list two to three things you learned about the device(s) that will be in your classroom this fall.


1. I learned that I pads can take pictures of screens which can be helpful when I am trying to demonstrate certain skills. Visual learners will benefit by being able to compare what is on the screen with what they have performed.


2. I learned that website locations can be saved on screen similar to apps which will be helpful with our classroom blog and wikipage. It will simply getting to frequently used webpages.


3. I learned the I pad camera is useful for videos and slideshows and saves pictures/videos to a file. It will increase students' abilities to take their own videos/slideshows for presentations and allow us to lessen the need to use other peoples' products from places such as Flickr Creative Commons. Creative Commons is useful but I feel a product is more genuine as is the learning experience the more a product is the creation of a student.


How do you plan to manage the device(s) in your classroom? Do you have ideas/suggestions that others may find useful?


In the first few weeks of school, we are going to spend time practicing the basics. Students need to practice logging on/logging off, picking up and putting away technology devices, sharing them with other students and using them responsibly. Students need to know that these uses are a privilege and not a right. I really liked the end of the tutorial where it talked about having people assigned to take out and put away the devices correctly. These responsibilities will help students grow.


I think it would be useful for any teacher to go to the easytech site on the SBISD webpage and look at the list of approved devices. I also think it is important to show kids how to use the devices and constantly remind them that it is inappropriate to go to websites that are not for young people.


I plan to keep a log of when students use these devices to increase accountability as well as to make sure all my students get fair opportunities to explore. I also plan to create small groups of heterogeneous and homogeneous skill sets depending on what the project is. Heterogeneous groups are useful when you need a students to mentor a struggling or reluctant technology learner. Homogeneous groups are best when you do not want one or two students "taking over" a project and having other students left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment