Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thing #14

I have been exploring Technorati.com with mixed feelings. It has a lot of information but I wished it was organized in a more "easy to manage" manner. It feels cluttered and overwhelming at times. I did a blog post search for school library learning 2.0. Without quotes, I had over 250 posts mostly dealing with school, library, learning or 2.0 in different parts of a post but not all together as one expression. When I did a tag search for school library learning 2.0, I found 28 tags, mostly by participants of the 23 things program. When I did a blog directory search for school library learning 2.0, I found 122 entries which mostly related to the 23 things program. The search engine makes it too complicated to differentiate between searching blog topics versus within blogs versus searching tags. I do not believe I would use this as much as I would use delicious.com which is much simpler.

I am not surprised by the most popular searches. Unfortunately, in my opinion, our society has become a mirror of "reality television". Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson and others are often listed, but I wish there were more popular searches for educational and newsworthy blogs.

Tagging is an effective way of finding previously located information. The key to sharing with others is to use tags they would logically associate with the blog you have tagged. Otherwise, it is time-consuming and causes frustration.

I did "claim" this blog on technorati.com. The claim is pending. I pasted my claim number as instructed in a separate post. Hopefully, this will result in more viewers and comments. I also added technorati.com to my delicious.com bookmarks. The widgets are interesting, but I am not sure if adding them would really save me time.

1 comment:

  1. Remember that you are exploring what is out there for us to use. You have to find what works best for you and your classroom. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. Just keep it all in the back of your mind and pull what you need when you need it.
    Keep playing!

    ReplyDelete